At Implant and General Dentistry of Long Island, we work very hard to get people to love their smiles. In addition to various Cosmetic dental services, Dr’s Dean and Renee Glasser’s patients can benefit from innovative Orthodontic techniques developed to improve function and appearance. The Dentsply SureSmile aligner system is a proven aligner system that rivals that of the Invisalign system by Align Technology. The user friendly platform, consistent excellent Orthodontic results, as well as reduced cost to the patient were deciding factors in the implementation of SureSmile aligners. To this end, Dr. Glasser is certified by Dentsply to provide Sure Smile aligner therapy to his patients. SureSmile aligners focus on the proper alignment of teeth without the conventional use of traditional braces.
What Is the SureSmile Treatment?
SureSmile treatment is an aligner system that incorporates sophisticated imaging and robotics to achieve precision at every step in the corrective process. More than a clear aligner method of straightening teeth, SureSmile has been developed with the highest possible degree of accuracy to maximize patient comfort and minimize treatment time. These goals are achieved without diminishing the final results of care.
Am I a Candidate for SureSmile?
Most teens and adults are good candidates for SureSmile to correct gaps /spaces, and crowded teeth. To determine the appropriateness of treatment, Dr. Glasser conducts a thorough consultation and examination that includes necessary imaging.
What are SureSmile Aligners?
The advantage the SureSmile Aligners offers is the sophistication of advanced computer modeling and robotic manufacturing processes. The design and development system used to make each aligner achieves the highest degree of accuracy possible. This translates into improved comfort, fewer visits, and a shortened treatment time.
How Does the SureSmile Treatment Work?
Three general steps are involved in the SureSmile process. Three steps don’t sound like a lot, but it is the complexity of each step that enables SureSmile to be truly patient-specific.
- Advanced imaging is obtained using Cone Beam Computed Tomography (CBCT) and intraoral scanners. The images captured are used to create a 3D computer generated model of the patient's dentition as well as their bite. No need for the old messy impressions of the past.
- Treatment Planning. The 3D model provides a view of teeth from any angle, including how they fit together. This computer model is inserted into a virtual simulation tool to develop a precise step-by-step guide to tooth movements.
- Robotic manufacturing occurs once the treatment plan has been confirmed. In the SureSmile laboratory, robotic equipment shapes the clear aligner to achieve the gentle force needed to reposition teeth to the desired position.
How Long Before I See Results?
Each aligner gently releases the hold that the periodontal ligament has on various teeth. Not all teeth move at the same time or rate of speed. It can take weeks for teeth to visibly begin their repositioning. Because SureSmile is a clear aligner system, patients can enjoy watching their smile improve consistently month after month.
Are There Food Restrictions During Treatment?
Invisible aligners systems are made for comfort and convenience. Patients do not need to give up their favorite foods during their course of treatment. Aligners are simply removed and safely stored when eating.
Aligners should be removed when drinking any liquid other than cool water.
- Do not drink hot beverages without first removing aligners.
- Do not chew gum when wearing aligners.
- Drinking colored liquids while wearing aligners could lead to discoloration.
Are SureSmile Results Permanent?
The results achieved with SureSmile can last indefinitely in the same way that they can for people who wear braces. To ensure the permanence of a straight smile, it is necessary to follow-up SureSmile treatment with a retainer. This is necessary for some time because the periodontal ligament will naturally place pressure on newly-straightened teeth. Without a retainer, teeth can shift back into a misaligned position.
How to Clean SureSmile Aligners
Patients undergoing SureSmile treatment are advised to clean aligners using RetainerBrite® products. It is necessary to clean aligners every time they are removed and reinserted in the mouth. Cleaning after meals and snacks takes only a minute or two, so maintenance can easily fit into most people’s daily routine.
Aligners should NOT be cleaned with:
- Toothbrush and toothpaste. This can scratch the surface.
- Mouthwash. This can cause discoloration.
- Hot water. This can soften and distort the shape of the aligner.
- Colored or scented soap. This can cloud or discolor the aligner.
SureSmile lets us see teeth from root to crown and at every possible angle.
Schedule A Consultation
This enables us to develop the personalized treatment each patient deserves. To learn more about SureSmile aligner treatment, call (631) 423-6767, and schedule your consultation with Dr. Glasser.